Brooklyn, New York Newborn Photographer | Tips for Preparing for your Newborn Session to ensure they are happy and cooperative during the session
7 Tricks to keeping your newborn happy during their newborn session
In a recent post titled Tips for preparing for your Newborn Session: Part 1, we discussed what to bring and wear to your session. Now it’s time to talk about how to ensure your baby is happy and cooperative once you are at your session.
- Make sure your baby is well fed before their session. If your baby has a full belly, that usually equals a happy baby.
- If you have time before you leave try to give baby a bath. This will help tire them out before the session and also give their hair a nice shine.
- Bring baby in a simple easy to slip off button front footed onesie or similar depending on the weather outside. In addition to that, you should also be sure your baby has a fresh, clean diaper. No child is cooperative sitting in a dirty diaper. This may seem like an obvious tip, but in the rush of everything, sometimes we forget the basics.
- I mentioned this before, but it is important, so I’m saying it again: bring a pacifier to your session if you do use them. This will help him or her calm down during this time of potential stress. If your baby starts to fuss and I cannot stop the crying by other means, this will typically help ease the baby’s nerves.
- Keep your baby warm. Newborns are used to being in a small, warm place. That’s where they’ve been the past nine months, and they are uncomfortable when they are cold. I like to keep my studio space warm on session days for this reason. It may feel too warm to you so best to come prepared.
- I suggest playing soft music or white noise to create a soothing environment for your newborn.
- This is probably the most important thing to note: be OK being a part of the photos. If your child is not cooperating with the session, the best way to soothe him/her is to hold them and rock them to let them know everything is OK. Sometimes babies just need to be held. A lot of new moms are uncomfortable in front of the camera during the first weeks after birth, and I completely understand. If you do not want to be in photos, I can work around this, but I may need to borrow your arms.
Andria Lancaster Photography specializes in newborn photography in Brooklyn, NY and also specializes in maternity, baby, and family photography in the Brooklyn area.
I would love to begin planning your Brooklyn newborn session in my home studio. Check out more of my newborn gallery!
If you are interested in a custom newborn session with Andria Lancaster Photography and would like more information, please click the link to learn more about me and this newborn session experience.
If you would like to reserve your date on my calendar, please contact me or email me directly